The long-awaited Playground mode has finally arrived in Fortnite: Battle Royale.
And while the new mode has been hitting some bumps at launch, that doesn’t make us any less excited about it.
In the limited time v1 Playground mode, players can join up to three friends for an hour of free-play. Build and practice shooting to your heart’s content. Friendly fire is on, so you can take out your buddies in practice combat. But don’t worry, you’ll respawn after death allowing you to keep playing.
The only time you won’t respawn is if you’re killed by the Storm, which begins encroaching at the 55-minute mark. Playground matches last a total of one hour.
Here are all the details according to Epic’s v4.5 patch notes:
Playground is a low-pressure environment where friends can let their creativity run wild. Build massive structures. Practice with the weapons and items. Fight against your friends. Have fun!
- You’ll have one hour to create, play and train as you wish. Hop in and try out version 1 of Playground!
- Drop into the Battle Royale map with a squad of friends for an hour
- Friendly Fire is on
- Players respawn on elimination unless downed by the storm
- The storm doesn’t start closing in for 55m and takes 5 minutes to close in
- Resources gathered grant 10x the normal rate.
- 100 Llamas will be spawned on the map
- Chests & Ammo Boxes spawn 100% of the time
This is going to be an awesome new mode, and hopefully, once all the kinks are worked out, Epic Games will make it a permanent one. Being able to practice building and get your aiming down sounds like something most of us could use.
For me personally, I’m excited to see what my kids do with this. I like that they play the regular, high-pressure modes, but I can see them having a lot of fun just building for fun and then taking those skills back with them into the main game. This could be a serious time-suck. Uh-oh . . . .
In any case, you may experience some Playground downtime today as Epic rolls this new mode out. In the meantime, there’s a brand new Teams of 12 Final Fight mode replacing the Teams of 20 Final Fight mode. Here’s how that works:
Make it to the final circle and then fight for the Victory Royale!
- Final Fight plays similar to standard Battle Royale, but instead of the storm circles closing all the way in, they stop part way through the match.
- When the circles have finished closing in, the Final Countdown timer will begin.
- The remaining teams will battle it out until the timer expires.
- The team with the most players remaining at the end of the timer wins!
- In the event of a tie, the two (or more) teams tied for the lead win the match.
Not gonna lie here, I was not a fan of this latest Teams of 20 Final Fight so I’m not sure whether or not I’ll enjoy Teams of 12. Too often matches seemed to devolve into blowouts, with entire teams getting wiped by the Storm. Too much depended on where you landed in the beginning of the match—or rather, where your team ended up and how willing they were to run all the way across the map.
In any case, enjoy playing in the Playground!